Getting to know your characters gives you a lot to work with. Write a character description and include everything you can think of. Here is a possible list.
- Name of Character and meaning if you can find it
- Physical Description
- Family background – where they came from and they have lived.
- Jobs your character has had, include jobs their family members have had
- Siblings, age differences, how they get along
- Personal beliefs
- Friends – How do they help or don’t? Why are they friends?
- Enemies and why they are enemies
- What are their favorite songs, tv shows, movies
- What do they enjoy doing in their off-time from work
- What are they afraid of?
- What places do they not like at all?
- How do they view themselves?
- What character has the strongest influence on them?
- Do they have a strength or remarkable talent or skill?
- Do they have a weakness? Could also be an allergy.
- What do they love the most?
You could add more but this will give you a strong start if you do this for your main and secondary characters. You could do this for all your characters, especially if you plan to use them in another book in a series.
This is also part of your book’s bible. There is nothing more confusing to a reader to have the hero look into the heroine’s brown eyes on page 156 when they were green on page 6. Having this information already put together in one handy place helps an author be consistent.
If you read the Vampires in Manhattan series, you’ll see how some characters have more description while others have less. Remember how description blends in the flow of the store and is not “dumped” in one place at the beginning. You can find my first series here: https://www.amazon.com/Susan-Hanniford-Crowley/e/B004YXOGXG
Have fun reading and writing!
Susan Hanniford Crowley
EverWarm for ages 13-113 is now available at Kindle and Amazon Paperback. More to come.
Lady Fallon’s Dragons for ages 13-113 is now available at Kindle and Amazon Paperback, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords, BAM online bookstore sells the paperback, Scribd, and in paperback in the UK at Waterstones, also in Amazons around the world.
The Vampire with a Blanket of Stars, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 3 is available in Amazon Print and Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Apple, Walmart ebooks & Smashwords.Vampire Princess of New York, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 2 available in Kindle and Kindle Unlimited!
Vampire King of New York, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 1 now in Kindle and Print! Walmart Bookstore Online
Vampire in the Basement, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 4 available in Kindle.
Poseidon’s Catch(mythology romance) available in Kindle.
Mrs. Bright’s Tea Room (steampunk romance) available in Kindle.
A Vampire for Christmas, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 3 available in Kindle.
The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 2 available in Kindle and Print and Barnes and Noble Print
When Love Survives, Vampires in Manhattan Book 1 available in Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords, and iBooks (on Apple devices).