I dream my books, so my characters often come with names though not always last names. Secondary characters need names too. I have several ways to find names that I’ve used in the past.
- Old Telephone Books – I always do a mix and match of first and last names. I don’t want to name my characters after actually living persons.
- The Family Tree – If you are lucky enough to have a family tree drawn up that goes about 200 years back or more, it is a great resource of names.
- Cemeteries – By visiting old cemeteries during the day, you can find some fascinating names on gravestones. Again I mix and match first names and last.
- Scrabble – Looking for an unusual name, then throwing Scrabble tiles and seeing what comes up can be fun and enlightening.
- Books of Baby Names and Websites – These are the smorgasbord of names.
I think you have plenty of methods to use now. Happy Name Hunting!
All the best!
Susan Hanniford Crowley, Amazon Kindle Bestselling Author of Vampire Romance and now YA novels too.
Where love burns eternal and whispers in the dark!
New Release: Lady Fallon’s Dragons is now available at Kindle and Amazon Paperback, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords, Scribd, and a Paperback through BAM’s online store
The Vampire with a Blanket of Stars, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 3 is now available in Amazon Paperback and Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Apple, Walmart ebooks & Smashwords.
Vampire Princess of New York, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 2 available in Kindle and Kindle Unlimited!
Vampire King of New York, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 1 now in Kindle and Print! Walmart Bookstore Online
Vampire in the Basement, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 4 available in Kindle.
Poseidon’s Catch(mythology romance) available in Kindle.
Mrs. Bright’s Tea Room (steampunk romance) available in Kindle.
A Vampire for Christmas, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 3 available in Kindle.
The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 2 available in Kindle and Print and Barnes and Noble Print
When Love Survives, Vampires in Manhattan Book 1 available in Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords, and iBooks (on Apple devices).