Just as there are many colors in the rainbow, there are many choices.
Sometimes the brain can’t think or fathom the next thing to do.
Here is a list of things to do when you are working so hard on something that you can’t see the solution to the problem or the next step.
- A change of venue or scenery can often do the trick. Even briefly going outside and walking can clear the mind. Sometimes it is as easy as changing rooms for a few minutes.
- Take a break and hydrate.
- Take a break and do something else.
- Sleep on it. Sometimes I’ve been left with a puzzle I couldn’t solve during the day. I went to bed and in the morning often knew exactly what to do.
- Let it go. (All of these ideas are just methods of letting go.) Is it something you absolutely need to do?
- Do something else and come back to it later.
- Do it differently. Change the order in the steps of how you’re doing it.
- Change your tools. For example, if you are typing your book and you get stuck, change to writing it out in a notebook or journal with a pen or pencil. Tell the story into a recorder that you can playback later. Change the color of your ink. Listen to music.
- Organize it. When my girls were young, I used a chore chart. For trips and projects, I make checkoff lists. When book building, you can get a large cardboard and use sticky notes or index cards you tape on to organize the sections. I like to use Padlet.com which is a digital version of that cardboard.
The brain doesn’t like to be tedious and do everything the same way all the time. We are fun loving creatures. Doing something differently is what we’re all about essentially. You might even find a better, easier way to do the task.
Even when you are doing a routine task, remember to take your brain on a holiday with something new even if only for an hour or two. Play a game or change the visual imagery you see everyday.
After all, life is an adventure. Enjoy it!
All the best,
Susan Hanniford Crowley, Amazon Kindle Bestselling Author of Vampire Romance and now YA novels too.
Where love burns eternal and whispers in the dark!
New Release: Lady Fallon’s Dragons is now available at Kindle and Amazon Print, Nook, Kobo, & Smashwords
The Vampire with a Blanket of Stars, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 3 is now available in Amazon Print and Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Apple, Walmart ebooks & Smashwords.Vampire Princess of New York, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 2 available in Kindle and Kindle Unlimited!
Vampire King of New York, Arnhem Knights of New York, Book 1 now in Kindle and Print! Walmart Bookstore Online
Vampire in the Basement, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 4 available in Kindle.
Poseidon’s Catch(mythology romance) available in Kindle.
Mrs. Bright’s Tea Room (steampunk romance) available in Kindle.
A Vampire for Christmas, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 3 available in Kindle.
The Stormy Love Life of Laura Cordelais, Vampires in Manhattan, Book 2 available in Kindle and Print and Barnes and Noble Print
When Love Survives, Vampires in Manhattan Book 1 available in Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords, and iBooks (on Apple devices).