Well Nights of Passion Folks,
I’m currently on week 2 of Fast Draft (you can read week 1 here) and at this point I’m contemplating my life choices. Why did I want to be a writer? Why did I think this was a good idea? Why didn’t I major in business or go to medical school? Did I change my socks today?
…You get my point. It’s been a long week…for more than one reason.
Alas, I will keep writing because the voices in my head will never, ever shut up if I stop.
Since I am mostly brain dead and lost in the fictional world of Hayvenwood, Michigan, I would like to share with you a favorite recipe of mine for my “super lazy chicken fried rice.” A favorite go-to dinner that I make when I need comfort food. I don’t have a wok, so I use a giant frying pan or dutch oven.
- 1 cup cooked chicken (I love picking up a rotisserie chicken from the grocer when I’m short on time)
- 2-3 cups cooked rice, refrigerated for at least 2 hours. (In a pinch, swing by your favorite Chinese restaurant at lunch and stick it in the fridge at work.) In a good week, I’ll cook the rice the night before.
- 1 egg
- An assortment of veggies. I like to grab peas and carrots in the microwaveable bags. You only need like 8-12 ounces, depending on how veggie-loaded you want to make your rice.
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (gluten free if needed)
- Pepper, onion to taste. I like sesame oil on mine.
Once everything is cooked and set aside, put the egg in the VERY HOT pan, whip it around a bit so it scrambles, throw in the chicken and veggies, slowly put in the cold rice, and mix. Then, add soy sauce and seasoning, and maybe even a smattering of sesame oil.
Is it as good as my fav Chinese place in Burlington, VT? No, because I live in Michigan and miss it terribly. But it’s a good substitute when I need food in a hurry.
Okay, back to work. See you next week for Thanksgiving and…drum roll please…MY BIRTHDAY!
On this day in 1980, Isaac Hanson of the band Hanson was born. (Yes, they are still around. Yes, they just released a new album, and yes, I am still in love with all of them.)
Hunting Witch Hazel: Now available
Threat of Raine: Coming Soon
Rosemary for Remembrance: Coming Soon