Right now, as you read this blog post, I am knee deep in Fast Draft. Fast Draft is what I like to call the “on crack version of NaNoWriMo,” where you write 5,000 words a day. Like a crazy person.
This, in fact, is not the first time I’ve done this madness (you can read about the first time here) but I’ve gotten smarter. This is what I’ve learned from my first trip down to crazy town:
- Make a character board. I have a bulletin board filled with pictures and notes about each person and how they connect. This is important because you will go brain dead.
- Make a location board. Know what you’re describing and where it is in your fictional town. Make notes.
- Write out an elevator pitch. This should have your main character(s) and their conflict. It helps focus the story in a moment with only a few lines. Trust me, no need to go off on tangents and waste word count.
- Stretch. HOLY CATS, STRETCH! My lower back seized last time. I’m not ashamed to say I cried a bit. Stretch, see a chiropractor if you have one, do some yoga. Also, if your lower back and hips hurt, try icing your tailbone/butt crack area. Freaking MAGIC.
- Understand and accept that you will hate everything for two weeks, but still try to enjoy it.
- Don’t eat crap. If you need to munch, choose carrots over candy, Skinny Pop popcorn over chips.
Now, many of you are freaking out going, “BUT I CAN’T WRITE THAT MANY WORDS A DAY! I CAN’T EVEN DO NANOWRIMO!” Listen, at the end of the day, every writer works best with a different writing style. The thing that makes the author successful is that they WRITE. Once the first draft is done, the hardest part is done. You’ve got this. Just take the computer keys by the, er, well…keys!
Well folks, when this is done, Threat of Raine will be ready for editing. I cannot wait to bring you this full length book. In the meantime, I’ll be taking a social media break from Facebook and Twitter.
See you on the flip side
On this day in 1969 – “Sesame Street” made its debut on PBS.
Hunting Witch Hazel: Now available
Threat of Raine: Coming Soon
Rosemary for Remembrance: Coming Soon