We are only one day away from a long, holiday weekend! It’s time to plan which delicious treats we will eat while reading some of our favorite military romances.
Here are my book recommendations for the weekend:
Ambrose Young was beautiful. The kind of beautiful that graced the covers of romance novels, and Fern Taylor would know. She’d been reading them since she was thirteen. But maybe because he was so beautiful he was never someone Fern thought she could have…until he wasn’t beautiful anymore.
It was supposed to be simple. All Navy SEAL Nathan Malone had to do was rescue three young girls from a Colombia drug cartel, then allow himself to be captured just long enough to draw out a government spy. That was before his mission went disastrously wrong…and before his wife, Bella, was told that Nathan was never coming home.
Bella’s mourned her husband’s death for three long years. But she has no idea he’s still alive. Forced to assume a new identity, the man Nathan was is now dead. If he can get back to his wife, can he keep the secret of who he really is…even as desire threatens to consume them? And as danger threatens to tear Bella from Nathan’s arms once more?
I’m addicted to popcorn! Here’s some red, white, and blue deliciousness.
- 1 tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 3 to 4 tbsp white sugar
- approximately 1/8 tsp gel food coloring (Wilton or Americolor)
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- salt to taste
- in a 5qt pot that has a lid, heat the oil on medium-high heat until hot.
- add the sugar, food coloring, and popcorn kernels. give it a quick stir with a silicone spatula or wooden spoon and place the lid on the pot. wait until the kernels start to pop and then, using hot pads, shake the pot vigorously, back and forth, until most of the kernels are popped. if you leave it on too long, the sugar will burn.
- remove kettle corn from heat, and pour the popcorn into a large heat-proof bowl. add salt while it’s still hot until desired saltiness.
- wash out the pot, dry it well, and repeat the process for the other colors.
1 cup frozen raspberries
1 cup frozen strawberries
1 cup pomegranate juice (or coconut water)
juice from half a lemon
Ingredients for the White Smoothie
1/2 cup frozen pineapple
1/2 cup shredded coconut
2 frozen bananas (sliced)
1 can of coconut milk
2 tablespoons of hemp seeds
Ingredients for the Blue Smoothie
1 cup frozen blueberries
2 dates (pitted)
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 cup of pomegranate juice (or coconut water)
Combine ingredients for smoothie and blend in blender. To keep the layers separate in the glass make sure the blender is cleaned before each different smoothie. Spoon the ingredients into the glass gently making sure to coat the walls of the glass first with each separate layer. You can also try freezing before adding each layer.
Wishing everyone a safe and happy 4th of July!
On this day in 1936 – Margaret Mitchell’s book, “Gone with the Wind,” was published.
Hunting Witch Hazel: Now available
Threat of Raine: 2016
Rosemary for Remembrance: 2016