It’s time to talk about the 2015 live-action Cinderella – A film major’s nerdgasm!
Cinderella was the first romance I fell in love with, and now I get to love it all over again! But this time, through the eyes of a filmmaker and romance writer. SO FUN!
On Tuesday, one of my favorite movies of all time arrived on DVD at my front door. I’m talking about Cinderella. Now, why in the world is a woman who’s been around for several decades excited about a Disney movie?
I’ll give you ten good (and super nerdy) reasons why.
Reason 1: IT IS SHOT ON REAL FILM! Real film, folks. Old school, anamorphic widescreen on actual celluloid. (Excuse me, I need a moment to gather myself. Someone get the smelling salts!) As a film major, this had me geeking out SO HARD.
Shooting on film allows for a depth and texture that digital cannot recreate. If you don’t believe me, go watch old films and get back to me.
Reason 2: Kenneth (freaking) Branagh directed the film. I repeat. Kenneth. Branagh.
Don’t even tell me you don’t know who he is, I’ll cry. HE DIRECTED THOR, a ridiculous amount of amazing Shakespeare plays, and was even in one of the Harry Potters. Here are his credentials.
Reason 3: Real sets!
Yes. Real sets. The ballroom scene? That’s not green screen or CGI. That ballroom (50 yards long, 35 yards wide and 30 feet high) was built on the largest soundstage in Europe (Pinewood’s 007 Soundstage). Those are thousands of real candles in the chandeliers and six hundred extras.
The gardens were filmed at Blenheim Palace, and even the clock that tolls midnight is a real piece of history belonging to Cliveden House, Taplow, northeast of Maidenhead on the B476 Hedsor Road in Buckinghamshire. (Information kindly provided by www.movie-locations.com)
Reason 4: The costumes! Sandy Powell’s designs were absolutely amazing.
Let’s get the blue dress talk about of the way. Holy smokes, I’d trade five years of my life for that dress. Here are the details from DailyMail.UK.com:
- 3 Miles of thread in the hems
- 250 Metres of fabric in each dress
- 4,000 Hours it took to make eight different versions of the gown
- 10,000 Swarovski crystals hand-applied to the dresses
- 20 Minutes it took to get the dress on
- One dress was shortened by 4 inches to help Lily flee the ball at midnight
- Creator Sandy Powell says outrage over Lily’s slender waist was misplaced. It’s actually an optical illusion – her waist looks tiny because the skirt is so huge.
- The top layer of the gown is silk crepeline, a very lightweight, fine silk. The layers underneath are made up of a synthetic called yumissima, an incredibly light (and very expensive, about £150 a metre) material which floats when thrown in the air.
- Lily always went to the loo before being stitched into the outfit… but if nature called again, a mini camping portable loo was slipped under her dress.
- The designer and her team are sworn to silence about the cost, although some estimates have put it at about £11,000 per dress. But you can buy a similar design on the High Street for £100 – about 100 times less.
I also need to mention how amazing Cate Blanchett’s costumes are! They’re a throwback to the 1940’s, giving her such a brilliant look.
Reason 5: The cast. Seriously, the cast.
If that’s not enough to sway you, I’m not sure what is.
Reason 6: Cinderella isn’t just a doormat when it comes to the prince.
This spoiler-free interview with Richard Madden talks about how Cinderella and Prince Charming are equal and it’s absolutely brilliant.
Reason 7: The music by Patrick Doyle.
HEAVENS, THE MUSIC! Okay, so sad face time — this isn’t a musical. But, Lily James sings “A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes” on the soundtrack, and it’s absolutely wonderful.
Reason 8: The gasp.
Reason 9: Because I truly believe in the tagline “Have Courage and Be Kind” is really a great motto.
Reason 10: The interviews are fabulous!
If you need more reasons to give this movie a try, just let me know. It’s definitely on my favorite movies of 2015 list! Sit back and watch the ballgowns twirl 🙂
Oh hey, guess what? My anthology, Falling Hard, is up for a Reader’s Choice award from TRR! Please take a second and vote if you think I’m hilarious and deserve an awesome birthday present 🙂
September 16th is known for
Wishing You Laughter & Good Books,
Bold. Bewitching. Breathtaking.
Author of Hunting Witch Hazel featured in Falling Hard (A New Adult Anthology).